Close this search box.

Averil George Commissioner

Website Updates in Progress. Thanks for your patience.


Family Assistance

The Division of Family Assistance comprises of several need-based and general assistance programs such as:

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
  • Aid for the Aged (OAA)
  • Aid to the Blind
  • Aid to the Disabled
  • Energy Assistance; and
  • the Lifeline Program, commonly known as Telephone Assistance

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - SNAP

SNAP – Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as Food Stamp program.

What is SNAP? SNAP is a federal program that provides food-purchasing assistance for low- and no-income people.  SNAP provides benefits to eligible individuals and families via an Electronic Benefits Transfer Card (EBT). This card can be used like a debit card to purchase eligible food in authorized retail food stores. The income chart listed below provides an eligibility guide for various household sizes.


Who can apply?

Citizens and qualified alien non-citizens who legally live in the U. S. or U.S. Territories.  There is a 5-year waiting period for most non-citizens, however, anyone can apply. Social security numbers must be provided for everyone in the household. If you qualify, you should receive your benefits within 30 days of receipt of the application, or 7 days for expedited cases. SNAP Benefits will be loaded to your EBT (sun, sand & sea) card and are available at 7:00 a.m. on the first day of each month.

Additional qualification data copied from Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) |  To be eligible for this benefit program, applicants must live in the state in which they apply and meet certain bank balance limits. A household with an elderly (over 60) or disabled household member may have a higher bank balance limit.


How to apply for SNAP benefits?

You must complete a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and CASH Assistance Combined Application. There are several ways to get an application form:

  • Pick it up at a local SNAP office, or
  • Call the local SNAP office to have an application mailed to you, or
  • Print the form from the DHS website at

Complete the application, if you need assistance, call the local SNAP Office to request help, also inquire about the other programs we provide, which are listed below, as you may be eligible to participate in them.

Administrator: Natalie Bailey,


Public Assistance Programs


This program serves clients 18 years or older with dependent child(ren).

TANF replaces the Aid to Families with dependent child(ren) (AFDC) under the Personal Responsibility & Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996.

Under the TANF program benefits can only be given for a lifetime period of 60 months.

Aid to the Blind

Aid to the Disabled

Emergency Assistance

This program serves clients 18 years or older (one-time cash emergency assistance during a fiscal year)

To participate in the Public Assistance Programs/TANF:

Aid to the Old Aged


The Job Opportunities and Basic Skills (JOBS) Program of the Department of Human Services is designed to assist Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) recipients move from welfare to work.  Federal law requires TANF recipients to work 30 hours per week in order to remain eligible for financial assistance.  

The Territory must have 50% of its TANF population in work or face financial penalties.  If these recipients do not work they and their children will be removed from the TANF grant.  The truth is many of them are very motivated but lack opportunities.  The Department of Human Services is reaching out to the public and private sectors in order to create work and employment opportunities for these recipients. This brochure introduces you to our work experience and community service programs.


Translate »