Food Stamp Program
To participate in the Food Stamp Program:
- All households' members must be a US citizen or permanent resident alien residing in the US Virgin Islands.
- Social Security numbers must be provided for everyone applying for benefits.
- Households may have no more than $2,000 in countable resources, such as a bank account and no more than $3,000 for household age 60 or older. Certain resources are not counted such as a home and lot. Special rules are used to determine the resource value of vehicles owned by household member
- Net monthly income must be 100% or less of federal poverty guidelines ($1,384 per month for a household of three in most cases effective October 1, 2006 through September 30, 2007). Net income is figured out by adding all of a household's gross income, and them taking a number of approved deductions for child care, some sheltered costs and other expenses. Households with am elderly or disabled member are subject only to the net income test.
- Benefits are available the first of each month on the EBT (sun, sand & sea) card at 7:00 a.m.